Sunday, February 19, 2017

Too much information?

I got an email from a reader of my new book,  Tiny Boxes, asking for more information about making inlay on pages 20 and 21. He wanted to know the exact thicknesses of the strips to be cut and was curious how the patterned strips could be assembled into the pattern shown.  I provided that information to him via email. In your case, I'll ask that you go to pages 20 and 21 and puzzle out what you can, first.

I can understand that  some readers would like exacting instructions, but there is a very good reason to leave some out. The point in my writing it not to create exact clones of my own work, but to encourage the reader to take steps leading to growth. If everything is laid out in too much precision, where will the reader's own experimentation and growth occur? And is it not better to be puzzled and to work some things out for yourself?

Furniture designer/writer/craftsman Michael Cullen has a box project that my readers will enjoy. He provides just the right amount of information, enabling the  viewer after watching a 5 minute video, to take concrete steps in making his or her own box. The point, of course, is not to exactly duplicate Michael's work. That would be a form of theft, would it not? But to watch over his shoulders as he creates a very lovely band sawn box is a valuable thing. You can watch a video of his project on the Fine Woodworking website.

I am interested in creating a boxmaking 101 news journal. If you are willing to be added to the mailing list, please email me and sign up.

To make something useful and beautiful is to re-create oneself in that same image.

No comments: